Attorney Matt Birk graduated from the University of Miami in three years with a degree in economics. He then attended the University of Florida College of Law where he finished in the top ten percent of his class and was a member of the Order of the Coif, Title Standards Editor for Law Review and a member of the Journal of International Law.
After law school, attorney Birk served a two-year judicial clerkship for then-Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida, The Honorable Roger Vinson. He started practicing in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with a 350 attorney law firm focusing on defending large corporations, primarily in catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death cases. After ten years practicing in Philadelphia, he returned to Gainesville, Florida in 2009 and since 2011, Attorney Birk has focused on labor and employment law, representing employees and employers in federal and state courts as well as administrative agencies and arbitrations.
Representative successes include:
- $140,000 settlement for a truck driver who was injured on the job whose employer did not have workers compensation insurance
- $150,000 settlement for a fast food manager who claimed his rights under the ADA were violated
- $70,000 settlement for a maintenance worker who alleged he was fired by a school board in violation of Florida’s Whistleblower Act
- $90,000 settlement for a college employee who averred he was fired because of his age and country of origin
- $50,000 settlement for a fast food worker in a sexual harassment and retaliation case
- $85,000 award (including attorney’s fees and costs of litigation) for a debt collector who was not paid overtime in violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act
- $90,000 and $85,000 settlements in two claims by pharmaceutical workers against their employer for failure to pay them overtime
Attorney Birk is currently a member of the state bars of Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey as well as federal district courts throughout those states.
His interests include spending time with his family and friends, sports and volunteering and his goal is to provide efficient and knowledgeable legal services to all who seek his help.
Is There Something Bothering You at Work?Describe what happened, and we may be able to help you overcome the problems you’re having at work.
309 NE 1st Street
Gainesville, FL 32601